I had high hopes for this router based on the specs and reviews. While I knew there are several technical items that need tweaking I was not afraid of this as I have used both dd-wrt and more complex Cisci IOS devices. I wanted this for its ability to have dual bands, provide a VPN server, and multiple SSIDs.
- lower signal than A3 version of the dir-655
- 2.4Ghz radios dropped signal despite no interference from other wireless APs (setting a specific channel did appear to resolve this issue)
- router failed to negotiate DHCP lease from cable modem several times after making settings changes (powering the device off and on resolved the issue, but that is not an acceptable workaround)
- Samsung TV could not connect on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz freq.
- Amazon allows for returns
For now my search for a stronger dual band router continues.